Nursemaid Kaylee

If there is one thing I hate, it’s getting sick.  I don’t mind taking care of my kiddos or even my husband when they get sick, but being sick myself is about the worst thing ever.  Partially because I am the world’s biggest baby when I get sick.  I can not stand feeling miserable and there’s nothing I would rather do than crawl under the covers and sleep until the entire sickness is done and over with.  But the other reason I hate to be sick so much is that despite the fact that I don’t have a job outside of the home, life does not stop when I get sick.  Which means that I still have to get kids up and ready for school, I still have to make them breakfast and lunch, and I still have to go pick them up after.  There’s generally no reason for Matt to stay home from work when I am sick.

Well, Matt had caught a cold right on the heels of having the flu in February.  I felt bad for him because it wasn’t two days between the two and he wasn’t in a position to miss work (thankfully the flu had hit him on a Saturday so there was no need to figure out how he would manage work in that situation).  Despite feeling beyond cruddy every morning for about a week he muddled through work, and survived the cold.  Kaylee caught the same cold within days of Matt, and while I worried briefly about her cough, she too survived the cold no worse the wear.

A couple of weeks went by and it appeared that the rest of us would make it through without passing the illness along.  So when I started sneezing one Wednesday afternoon I didn’t immediately put two and two together.  We’d had some nice weather that week and I hoped that maybe spring was starting to be in the air which would trigger the start of my seasonal allergies.  By morning it became apparent that was not the case.  I was sick with Matt’s cold and miserable.

But as I said, the world doesn’t stop when I get sick.  Personally I think that it should, but as I don’t yet rule the world I’ll just have to make do.  As I climbed out of bed I knew it was going to be one of those mornings where I’d be moving slower than molasses and it was going to take everything I had to get the kids ready for school on time.  Tuesday’s and Thursday’s are extra hard anyway as I have to make sure to leave on the early side of our drop off window if I want to get Kaylee dropped off at pre-school on time.

I got the kids moving and sent Brendan to the shower.  While he showered I got all of their clothes set out, and began to ponder on breakfast.  I try to vary what the kids have for breakfast each morning so they don’t get tired of the same old thing every day.  This usually means oatmeal, pancakes, cereal, and the occasional pop tart or donut breakfast.  The kids were due to have something warm that morning because I’d served them cereal the day before.  My intention had been to make oatmeal, but as I sat in the recliner and tried to motivate myself to go into the kitchen and do that it became apparent that wasn’t going to happen.  Like it or not, they were getting cereal for the second day in a row.

Brendan got out of the shower and I went to run the water for Cameron’s.  Once he was squared away, I headed back to the living room and resumed my perch on the recliner, unable to motivate myself much further than that.  Kaylee wandered out of her room about that time, and noticing me sitting there in a fog climbed up into my lap.  I don’t remember what all she said to me that morning, but I let her know that I wasn’t feeling well and that was why I was sitting there.

What happened next was just about the cutest thing I’d ever seen.  She laid her head on my shoulder and began to pat my chest and comfort me.  My little three year old girl knew exactly what mommy needed to feel better.  It was so cute that I picked up my phone off the table next to me and captured the moment on camera.  I’m not one to usually like photos of myself unshowered and sick to boot but this was just too cute to not save for posterity.

nurse kaylee

She laid there for the duration of Cameron’s shower and when he was finished I told her she needed to get up so we could go run her bath.  That’s when she made my heart melt a little more.  She looked up at me and said that she didn’t want to go to school that day, she wanted to stay home and take care of me instead.  I couldn’t believe it.  My little girl who loves pre-school more than anything and anxiously counts the “sleeps” that she has left until she gets to go again was offering to sacrifice her day at pre-school to stay home and take care of sick mommy.

I gave her a great big hug and thanked her for the offer but said that she might as well go to pre-school since I would just be sleeping anyway.  It took some convincing but she finally agreed and I finished getting everyone ready for school.  Before we left though, Kaylee insisted on setting up a cartoon for me on Netflix so I could watch it while I was sick.  I laughed out loud at this because the first thing I do for the kids when they’re sick is get them set up with a cartoon.  Evidently Miss Kaylee has been paying attention these last three years.

Two schools and 30 minutes later I arrived back home and collapsed into my bed.  While I would much prefer to sleep off any and all illnesses, sleep does not usually come easily to me when I am ill.  I usually lay in my bed wishing I was asleep instead of being awake and feeling so cruddy.  But not on this day.  I don’t recall the exact time but it really couldn’t have been more than 5 minutes before I crashed.

Thank goodness I have a recurring alarm set on my phone to remind me daily to pick up the boys from school and another to pick up Kaylee from pre-school.  Most days I don’t need the reminder because I’m well aware of the time, but I keep it set anyway for those one off times when I’m engrossed in an activity and lose track of the time.  It might be rare, but it happens often enough that I prefer to have that safety net.  On this day I can guarantee that without that alarm I would have slept right through picking up Kaylee from pre-school.

I managed to disentangle myself from the covers and headed off to the pre-school.  Kaylee and I came back home and I quickly fed her some lunch.  Once she was done she climbed into my bed with me so she could take care of me.  Normally I’m pretty insistent that she take her nap but she wanted so much to take care of mommy that I let her turn on cartoons on my TV and she sat watching them while I dozed in and out for the rest of the afternoon.  She was good as gold sitting there and I had no worries at all about her getting into anything while I slept.

Once in a while through my haze of drowsiness I would feel her little hand reach over and pat me gently on the head.  It was the best sick day I’ve ever had.  If only everyone could have a nurse as wonderful as Kaylee when they were sick.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s